Sooner or later, a big decision takes place in every family. And when it does, a lot depends on it. Choosing the right residential care home for your elderly parents who no longer can live on their own is not easy. At Your Next Move we help ease this stressful decision-making process by asking questions you haven’t thought of, taking you to on-site visits and then using all of this information to find the best residential care home for your parents’ physical and mental well-being.
The typical residential care is a non-medical facility providing accommodations, meals, and supervision for persons over 60 years of age. The residents don’t need 24-hour nursing care, but do need help with daily activities. Since this is a non–medical facility, there is no requirement for RNs, LVNs or CNAs or any other medically–trained personnel, but many facilities have RN’s on-site.
The simple consideration of this type of change can often be overwhelming. Here are five “Must-Haves” to make your selection process easier:
- The owner and the staff members of the facility should be knowledgeable, experienced and possess superior communication and customer service skills. When you visit these facilities, check to see how the staff interacts with the residents. If the interactions aren’t cordial, you’ve scratched one off of your list.
- The staff to patient ratio is should be a low number. If the facility seems or is understaffed, then the residents won’t get the care they are paying for.
- The facility should smell clean, and all rooms and common areas should sparkle as well. Look at the residents and see if they dressed and groomed for their respective conditions.
- A RN should be available on-site at all times; or if not, is the RN on-site at set times? There should also be a clear plan for how medications are administered.
- There should be a strong activity program to stimulate the residents’ minds and bodies.
We will always recommend five or so residential care homes for you to consider and visit. After our scheduled visits, you may want to do a few unannounced ones (during business hours) when you’ve narrowed your search to solidify your decision.
At Your Next Move we are the experts for compassionate and sound guidance when planning your parents’ future care. Do your homework with us at your side and we will work together to make the transition smooth and uneventful. Remember, we help you every step of the way.
Contact Your Next Move Today to Help You With Your Next Move. We are there at your side.
This blog post is brought to you by the team at Your Next Move. If you are interested in further information you may contact us below. LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get the most current communication on the subject of senior relocation. Please join our mailing list.
Your Next Move, Easing Your Senior Transition
Julie Kopetsky, President
919-601-8203 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlighting